Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

About This Blog

Sorry for putting up this kind of 'explanation/description' post so late.
Well, I finally got some time after finishing my APs and stuff.

So here goes.

Ethnically, I'm Northeast Asian. But I've traveled all around the world.
Thanks to Dad's work and stuff. So I know many languages (see profile).
Personally, I'm in love with Japanese music and manga/anime and traditional culture.
I draw original manga, compose songs, and even cosplay LOL
I also like Japanese fashion and food, but that's for some other time.

Anyways. I've been like that since, like, junior high.
Right now, I go to college in the US (California to be exact), but I took a semester off and I'm here in Tokyo till next month.

So, I started off my 'Internet identity'(?) on Ameblo, the Japanese blogging service, so that I could introduce/suggest music and anime that I thought were well-made.
(And I'm still doing that.
If you speak Jap, you'd be better off seeing that blog, coz I update that far more frequently.)

However, there aren't that many people who know both Japanese AND another language, like, English for example, well enough to be able to effectively translate original Japanese material into these languages.
As a result, there are a lot of translations out there that have some serious mistakes (due to the different grammatical structure of Japanese vs. English or French or Spanish etc. sentences), as well as translations that have failed to convey the original 'feeling' or 'nuance' of the original.

To be frank, I have to say that it is impossible for a translation to have 100% of the nuances preserved, however skilled the translator may be; the best way is to actually learn Japanese yourself.
Even so, I have decided to take on the translating job myself.
This is because, well, learning another language is hard, and it's a lot to ask of you people who may be interested in the stuff I like.
So to get more fans for the artists I admire so much, I'm going to upload translations of lyrics whenever I get the time.

Many Japanese artists write exceptionally poetic lyrics.
I, myself, have always had a knack for poetic stuff; try asking my French teacher from middle school.
So, although I cannot guarantee you a 100% accurate translation (for instance, there are many words in Japanese that have no exact English counterpart), I'm confident that my translations will be some of the best out there.

Oh yeah, I'm itching to do French translations and more, but for now, it'll be English because 1)I'm friggin busy, being a Berkeley student and 2)that's the language the most people can understand.

I'm also thinking of starting a Youtube channel sometime this year (maybe even this summer, if Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra turn out to be easier than I thought), which will introduce Japanese songs and stuff to all those people out there who are interested.

Hungry for suggestions of songs to listen to and animes to watch? Want to actually understand what the hell your fave band is actually saying? And (sometimes) want some info on other sides of Japanese culture? This is the blog for you.
And follow me on Twitter because from now on, I'll announce there when I put something on the Internet. https://twitter.com/Isabell_Sen

No comments:

Post a Comment